Tuesday 17 April 2012

Studio Day 2

Well technically this was day one. I'm very pleased with how today went, I managed to record two full tracks of vocals, one of which is accompanied by a strange guitar/ banjo instrument that the technician (Luke) of the studio played. This was not part of the plan at all, but the song did need something else to it and it came about through a jam really. The old man and Luke  went into the studio and had one or two runs through the song before I pressed record. It was recorded in one take, even though it could be 'improved' slightly by tightening up, I felt that the recording would lose it's character. I feel this song captures the idea of folk music brilliantly, where two guys that have never before met each other get together and play music...this is especially true to Welsh folk music of the 50s. I managed to get hold of  a new pianist today too, a friend of my dad. But unfortunately the piano tuner that I was promised to sort out the acoustic piano is not available until Friday which leaves it too late to record any new material. This left me with having to record using the keyboard, which is not the best sound at the moment. But I do have the option of changing the default triggered samples for other...and hopefully better ones! It's vital when listening to the track to not be able to notice that it's a keyboard that's being played! Going in early tomorrow to tidy up the piano and finish the vocals for the remaining two tracks.






Pictures from the first day recording and a short clip of Luke and my dad going over the song together.


No comments:

Post a Comment